Cornelius Crowley Of Currahy,Abbeymahon, Co. Cork
Cornelius Crowley was born in (approx.) 1803 in Currahy, Lislevane, district of Abbeymahon, County Cork.
He married Ellen Murphy, who was born in 1812 a native of Courtmacsherry, on the 16th February 1841 in Lislee, Abbeymahon Co Cork.
Cornelius and Ellen had at least six children, whose births were all recorded in local baptismal records. All six children were born on the farm at Currahy, near the village of Lislevane, Cork:
Timothy Crowley 1841 -1928
Migrated to NSW 1870s, Married Johanna Keohane (b.1859) in 1881. Died Sydney, Australia
Michael C Crowley 1843 - ?
Married Mary Deasy in 1887 (b.1855) Remained in Currahy, Abbeymahon.
Jeremiah Crowley 1845 -1904
Migrated USA, married Nancy Hodnett. Died NYC, USA
Mary Crowley 1848 - ?
No further information known
John Crowley 1850 – 1939
Migrated New Zealand, married Mary Anne O’Leary. Died Wanganui New Zealand
Kate Crowley 1853 - ?
No further information known
Cornelius Crowley died in March 1880.
There is no record of his wife, Ellen Crowley’s (nee Murphy) death. Possibly she moved in with one of her other children – Kate, Mary or Jeremiah, or migrated with them to the USA or Canada. We know that she didn’t migrate to Australia or New Zealand with either of her sons John or Timothy.
MEMORIAL PLAQUE IN MEMORY OF THE CROWLEY FAMILY, TIMOLEAGUE ABBEY, Co CORK, IRELAND
Migrated to NSW 1870s.
Settled in Gundagai 1880.
Married Johanna Keohane 1881
Died Sydney 1928
Settled in Wanganui, NZ
Married Mary Anne O’Leary
Bryan Crowley (deceased), grandson of John Crowley, great grandson of Cornelius Crowley
Crowley DNA Project – Kit No 68596.
Timothy McGarry, great grandson of Timothy Crowley, great great grandson of Cornelius Crowley. GED Match A483069/Ancestry DNA McGarry (Tim McGarry10)/or 23andme. Contact timmcgarry13 at gmail.com
CROWLEY FARM, CURRAHY, LISLEVANE, CO CORK
MAP - CURRAHY, CO CORK, IRELAND.
Parish of Abbeymahon
ABBEYMAHON, a parish, in the barony of IBANE-AND-BARRYROE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, is l½ miles (E. S. E.) from Timoleague. This parish is situated on the northwest side of Courtmacsherry bay, on the south coast: it formerly constituted part of the parish of Lislee, from which it was separated on the erection of an abbey by some Cistertian monks, which stood close to the shore, and was endowed by Lord Barry with 18 ploughlands, but was not entirely completed at the general suppression of monasteries, when its possessions were seized by the Crown and granted to the Boyle family, and are still the property of the Earl of Shannon. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also Lislee, Kilsillagh, and Donoghmore, and containing two chapels, situated respectively at Abbeymahon and Lislee. The ruins of the abbey consist of the walls of the church, which are tolerably entire, and a square tower mantled with ivy.